Rates Waiver Scheme for 2021
COVID 19 Waiver of Commercial Rates 2021
The Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage recently issued details of the Commercial Rates Waiver to be applied for the first quarter of 2021. In recognition of the impact that COVID19 is having on businesses a further commercial rates waiver will apply to specified businesses in the first quarter of 2021. This three-month waiver has modified criteria and accordingly is a separate standalone waiver scheme from the scheme that applied in 2020.
The waiver will take the form of a credit in lieu of rates and the value is the equivalent of 25% of the annual rate bill for 2021.
The three-month waiver will apply to all eligible businesses closed by or badly impacted by Level 5 restrictions.
An application to Monaghan County Council is not required. Monaghan County Council will automatically apply a credit in lieu of commercial rates, for a three-month period, to classes and categories of occupied rateable properties where the occupying business is not in an excluded category identified below. The full list of categories and uses of commercial rate properties that are deemed eligible for the Waiver is available here:
This credit does not apply to the following Excluded Categories:
- Public Service
- Vacant Properties (all vacant property as is ordinarily understood for rates is excluded from the waiver)
- Global Utility Networks on the Central Valuation List
- Properties in the “Office” Valuation Category
- Properties in the “Industrial Uses” Valuation Category
- Properties in the “Miscellaneous” Valuation Category
- Properties in the “Minerals” Valuation Category
- Properties in the “Utility” Valuation Category
- Supermarkets greater than 500M2 (Categories Supermarket 2 and Supermarket 3)
- Properties with the valuation category of “Department Store” but which are occupied either partially or wholly by a supermarket which sells food and/or groceries.
- Banks, Building Societies and Credit Unions
- Pharmaceutical manufacturing
The full list of Excluded Categories and Uses is available to review here:
Businesses in the excluded categories may qualify for a waiver if it can be demonstrated that the business was severely impacted by the pandemic. The Council will request documentary evidence to support an application. In this circumstance, please apply to email@example.com .
Additional information on the Rate Waiver Scheme 2021 is available by clicking on the link to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Should you have any queries in relation to the Rates Waiver 2021 please contact the Rates Team by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 047 30590