We need YOUR help!
Monaghan Active Travel Unit together with the Road Safety Officer and Monaghan County Libraries would like you to help us make travel County Monaghan safer, greener and healthier for everyone. Do you have a talent for art, illustration or spoken word? We want you to create a poster, poem or comic strip to raise awareness of active travel AND to encourage people to make a positive change.
Active Travel – What is it?
Walking and cycling are two of the most popular physical activities across Ireland and have a part to play in helping Ireland to reduce its carbon footprint and address climate change. The largest single cause of journeys in Ireland is commuting to either work or school; in Co. Monaghan, almost 40,000 people commute daily but less than 10% of these walk or cycle, even though 15,000 of them have a journey of less than 15 minutes to make.
This is where we need your help! We need you to help us to persuade people to shift from private motor cars to Active Travel modes of transport where possible. Active Travel means travelling with a purpose using your own energy, so walking, cycling or scooting! There are so many health benefits of travelling more actively – did you know walking or cycling can reduce stress, anger and tiredness?
Do you need some ideas to get started?
• Create a piece to raise awareness of the health, social and environmental benefits of walking and/or cycling.
• Create a piece that reflects attitudes towards active travel at your school and how we can improve them.
• Why not look at sustainable transport and environmentally friendly ways of getting around?
How to take part?
➢ Read up some information on the topic of Active Travel as inspiration for your work!
➢ Take a look at www.mobilityweek.eu to find out some more information
➢ Create your poster, poem or comic strip.
➢ Applications can be posted or dropped into any of the branch libraries in Ballybay, Castleblayney, Carrickmacross, Clones and Monaghan. Please address it “Active Travel Unit Art Competition 2021”. Deadline for receipt of applications is Friday 22nd October at 4pm. Winners will be notified before the Halloween holidays.
➢ Winning entries will be displayed in a prominent location in Monaghan Town during the Halloween holidays.
➢ Include the following details on all entries: Name, Age, Class and School
Categories & Prizes
- Junior Category (Junior Infants – 2nd Class)
• Senior Category (3rd Class – 6th Class)
• There will be fantastic prizes for each class group winner. Each school that participates will also receive an Active Travel goodie bag.