Monaghan County Council does not have the resources available to carry out salting on its entire road network. It will endeavour to prevent ice forming on 610km of Priority 1 and 2 routes as described below.
|Route Designation||Description||Level of Service|
|Priority 1||All National Primary and National Secondary Roads||These routes are ordinarily treated during winter weather and receive pre and post salting treatment and ploughing when necessary.|
|Priority 2||All Regional Roads and a number of heavily trafficked Local Roads||These routes are ordinarily treated during winter weather but may have interruptions to treatment in certain severe weather events|
|Priority 3||Footpaths in urban centres and all other Local Roads.||Not treated as part of the normal winter service but may receive intermittent treatment during certain severe weather events subject to resource availability.|
The priority 1 and 2 salting routes are divided into 8 separate treatment routes for operational purposes as illustrated below.
|Treatment Route||Priority 1||Priority 2||Priority 3|
|Mobilisation Time||1 hr||1 hr||When possible|
|Treatment Time||2 hrs||3-5 hrs||When possible|
Despite the resources that are applied to providing the winter service, ice-free roads cannot be guaranteed. The motorist should remember the following:
- Approximately 76% of roads are not routinely salted.
- In Ireland there are a high proportion of marginal nights when temperatures are very close to zero. This makes it more difficult to accurately predict frost than in colder countries. As a consequence Met Éireann can only guarantee 80% accuracy in their forecasts
- It can take up to 4 hours to salt a route, so any journey may start or end on an untreated section of the route.
- In heavy rain, salt can be washed away and the wet surface may subsequently freeze if the temperature falls below zero.
- In cases of extended severe weather events, the network salted may have to be reduced to Priority 1 routes only.
- Spreading of Salt does not mean that the road surface will necessarily be ice free. In freezing conditions always drive with great care even if the road has been salted.