North-East Digital Innovation Hub (The Hub)
The Hub will provide a dedicated technology (and data) based digital innovation facility for a wide range of enterprises across the North East region. Located in Monaghan town, its vision will be to realise competitive advantage for local enterprises through the application of current and emerging technologies, and data value exploitation.
Founded on a partnership model with local businesses The Hub will advance a digital technology agenda, enabling capabilities such as Artificial Intelligence (AI), Edge Computing and Autonomous Things.
The Hub will be structured along (1) Technology Education / Upskilling, and (2) Project-Based (Incubator) tracks, and its activities will be as open and inclusive as possible with the local community. In addition to the two main tracks the Hub will facilitate open days, guest lectures, school visits, collaborative workshops and information days on valuable and emerging digital trends.
The project’s promoters are Monaghan County Council and Enterprising Monaghan whose activities support a multi-billion-euro agri-food and engineering sector within the county. At its core the Hub will create a diverse and expert collaboration that will help to future proof the North East region’s economy through productivity and product differentiation across all sectors. With this in mind the promoters have formed strategic partnerships with key expert organisations such as INSIGHT ( https://www.insight-centre.org/ ); ICHEC ( https://www.ichec.ie/ ) and IMR ( https://imr.ie/ ). This is further underpinned by the formal support of leading global technology companies such as Intel and Microsoft.
This is a critical leadership role for The Hub, with responsibility to realise the Hub’s vision and to oversee its general management and deliver to its operational goals.
Initially a 3-year full time contact based in Monaghan town commencing September 2020.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage all day to day activities of the Hub including full necessary executive oversight and co-ordination. This includes financial management of the hub to ensure all budgets are met and financial compliance is adhered to, and the management of staff and engaged consultants. Note: The project provides for the employment of a Chief Technology Officer and contracting of external expertise where require.
- Plan and oversee broad-based enterprise engagement in the region across both the Education and Incubator tracks, with responsibility for the sourcing, coordinating, detail planning and implementing of both tracks. Sourcing involves seeking new partners and establishing new projects.
- Ensure the efficient project management of the Hub activities, including scheduling and working with project research partners (ICHEC, INSIGHT and IMR), other stakeholders, and overall to assist in the timely delivery of The Hub objectives.
- Maintain and make available to Hub oversight committee (and other stakeholders) management and progress reports against The Hub objectives.
- At a project level, this reporting will allow the monitoring of different aspects of each project including: use-case definition, resource assets, technical setup, dataset management, core software development, and technical demonstrators.
- Nurture and help grow a wide network of support and influence for the Hub. Represent the Hub to various stakeholders and at appropriate events, and, where necessary, preparing relevant materials.
- Identify and manage incentive funding pipeline to relevant national and European programmes (e.g. Horizon Europe).
- Other duties as assigned by The Hubs oversight committee.
Skills and Experience
- Candidates must have a technology, science, engineering or business primary degree or equivalent, and 7 years’ relevant work experience. A post graduate qualification in one of the discipline areas mentioned is also desirable.
- Experience in organisation leadership or programme management in a technology or business setting. Experience in managing multiple projects across diverse disciplines with multiple stakeholders would be an Able to prioritise workload and meet deadlines.
- An advantage is a broad technology understanding, for instance AI toolkits and platforms, and overall technology developments in AI. Be in a position to assist the participating companies in this context.
- Previous experience in identifying and securing national and European funding.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Analytical skills – can identify a problem/risk and propose solutions to multifaceted problems.
- Good time management skills and highly organized.
- A flexible approach / resourceful / conscientious and self-motivated with a ‘can do attitude’ – ability to see tasks through to completion.
- Enjoy working both with people and independently.