Data Protection Acts 1988 -2018 (as amended) and the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)
Data Subject Notification
Recruitment and Selection Process
The purpose of this notification is to set out some information regarding the collection and processing of your information by Monaghan County Council. During the course of our activities we will collect, store and process personal data about our candidates. Monaghan County Council is the data controller in respect of this data.
Monaghan County Council creates, collects and processes a significant amount of ‘personal data’ and ‘sensitive personal data’ in various multiple formats daily. Our commitment is to ensure that the personal data supplied is:
- Obtained lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner
- Collected for only specified, explicit and legitimate purposes
- Adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary for the purpose for which it was obtained
- Recorded, stored accurately and where necessary kept up to date
- Kept for no longer than is necessary, and, in a form, which permits identification of the data subject
- Processed in a manner that ensures the appropriate security of the personal data including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing of the data.
For full details of the collection, processing and sharing of your personal data by us and your rights in this regard, please see our full Privacy Notice on the website.
What data we collect and process
The types of personal data that we will collect, and process includes
- your name, address and contact details, including email address and telephone numbers
(Work, Home and Mobile)
- details of your qualifications, skills, training, work experience, professional memberships and previous employment history, periods of employment and reason for leaving, information to demonstrate you are suitable for the position advertised
- whether or not you have a disability for which the Council may need to make reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process;
- whether you are of good character;
- information about your entitlement to work in the Republic of Ireland, including your PPSN Number;
- your comments relating to your suitability for the role and your personal interests.
The following special category personal data is collected
- Medical reports
Where an applicant is successful at interview and offered employment, further personal information may be required/recorded e.g.;
- References (Previous employment and character references)
- Birth Certificate
- Bank Details
- Drivers Licence and category of licence
- Car Registration and Insurance details
- Service details from previous public sector employers if applicable
- Documentary evidence for proof of identity and address
- Details of availing of any Early Retirement schemes
- Superannuation details
- Safe Pass
- Particulars of declarable interests
- Your photograph for the corporate Intranet
- Details of your next of Kin – Contact person in case of emergency.
Monaghan County Council also asks you to provide the contact details of two referees whom we will contact after interview to obtain references for you. We assume that you have obtained their written consent to act as such and fully understand that their Personal Data will be processed by us for the purpose of obtaining and recording your reference.
The Council collects this information by asking you to complete and submit a job application form via post.
Why do we collect this personal data?
We collect and process this information in order to manage and administer the relationship between you and us for the purpose of creating a candidate profile for you if you are a prospective employee
Lawfulness of processing
We process personal data in the exercise of official authority vested in us as the controller under Article 6 (1) (e) of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and by virtue of our statutory functions set out under the following legislation:
- Employment Law
- Terms of the Employment (Information) Act 1994 and Human Resources policies and procedures
- Health and Safety Legislation
- Superannuation Legislation
- National Vetting Bureau (Children and Vulnerable Persons) Acts 2012 to 2016
- Children First Act, 2015
- National Guidance for the Protection and Welfare of Children 2017
- Disability Act 2005
- Local Government Act 2001 (As amended)
We process your Special category Personal Data under the Disability Act 2005, Monaghan County Council may also ask if you have a disability
- Where necessary and proportional for the performance of the statutory function conferred on us under the Disability Act 2005 and Employment Law
- To protect your vital interests and those of another person
Sharing of Personal Data
Outside of the relevant recruitment team, the information provided in your application form will only be shared for progressing the competition for which you have applied, with a designated shortlisting and/or interview board. If following the competition, you are placed on a panel and offered a position, the information provided in your application form will form part of your Personal File and may be used for deciding the post to which you are assigned.
We may share your Personal Data with selected third parties, including for example
- Former employers to obtain references for you
- Medical Practitioners
- An Garda Síochána (Garda Vetting Process)
- Other Government agencies, where required to so do by law
We may also share your data with other Local Authorities, suppliers and other third parties who assist us in fulfilling our functions. Further information regarding the sharing of your personal data can be found in our Privacy Notice which is available at: Privacy Notice
How long do we keep hold of your information
Your application will be retained for one year from the date a panel for this position is formed. In exceptional circumstances panels can be extended for an additional year and your personal data will be kept until the extension has expired (usually a further one year, rarely two years). Applications which are unsuccessful at interview stage will be retained for one year. Applications that are not progressed to interview stage will be destroyed post competition.
If you do not furnish the personal data requested, Monaghan County Council will not be able to progress your application for the competition for which you are applying.
For further information on the periods for which your personal data is kept please see our Data Protection Retention Policy which can be accessed by clicking on the link Privacy Notice Please note that the retention policy is currently under review.
If you have any questions regarding our processing of your Personal Data, our Data Protection Officer can be contacted
by email: email@example.com
by phone: (047)30507
Postal Address: Monaghan County Council, County Offices, The Glen, Monaghan