Who are we?
Monaghan County Council is the democratically elected unit of local government and is responsible for the provision of an extensive and diverse range of services to the people of the County. Monaghan County Council seeks to promote and drive the economic, social and cultural development of the County and in doing so contributes significantly to improving the quality of life of the people of Monaghan.
Under the provisions of the Local Government Reform Act 2014, it became the Data Controller for all local government activity in Monaghan.
The principle function of the Council is to provide a wide range of services to meet the economic, social and cultural needs of its customers under the following headings:
• Community Development
• Corporate Services
• Fire Building Control
• Human Resources
• Motor Tax
• Road Transport
• Water Services
This privacy notice sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or from others, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our practices regarding your personal data and how we treat it.
For the purposes of the Data Protection Acts 1988-2018 (amended) and the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) the Data Controller is: –
Monaghan County Council
If you have any concerns about how we collect or process your personal data, our Data Protection Officer may be contacted at: –
Monaghan County Council has created this privacy notice in order to demonstrate its firm commitment to your privacy and to ensure that in all your personal dealings with the Council that it will ensure the security of the personal data provided.
In order to provide the most effective and targeted range of services to meet the needs of the citizens, communities and businesses within the County, we will be required to collect, process and use certain types of information about people and organisations. Monaghan County Council creates collects and processes a significant amount of ‘personal data’ and ‘sensitive personal data’ in various multiple formats on a daily basis. Our commitment is to ensure that the personal data supplied is:
• Obtained lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner
• Collected for only specified, explicit and legitimate purposes,
• Adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary for the purpose for which it was obtained,
• Recorded, stored accurately and where necessary kept up to date,
• Kept for no longer that is necessary and in a form which permits identification of the data subject,
• Processed in a manner that ensures the appropriate security of the personal data including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing of the data.
What Personal Data do we collect from you?
Monaghan County Council may collect process and use certain types of personal data to comply with regulatory or legislative requirements in the provision of its services.
You may give us personal data by:
• Corresponding with us by letter, telephone, email, social media or otherwise. We ask you to disclose only as much information as is necessary to provide you with our services or to submit a question/suggestion/comment in relation to our website or our services.
• Using our services and filling in application forms to avail of our services. The type of information you may provide is your name, address, email address, phone number, and employment details, family composition, income details, bank details, children’s information, PPSN, dates of birth. Application forms may include Special Category (sensitive) Personal Data such as racial or ethnic origin and health information.
• Applying to work with us. The type of information you may provide in your application form or cover letter include your name, address, email address and telephone number. Application forms may include information relevant to your employment history and education (degrees obtained, places worked, positions held, relevant awards).
• Supplying us with goods or services. Service providers and suppliers supply us with information which may include contact details, name, address, email, business address, telephone number, billing payment details (Tax Clearance Certificates, Insurance and bank details)
What information about you do we obtain from others?
We work in collaboration with Irish Water to implement the provisions of the Service Level Agreement between Monaghan County Council and Irish Water.
To assist Irish Water in the provision and delivery of high quality water services, we may obtain the following categories of personal data from them: –
Name, address, email address and telephone number.
Why do we collect this information?
Monaghan County Council collects this information in order to provide you with our services, to market our services, to improve our website and to recruit staff.
We will use this information to: –
• To fulfill our Statutory Functions and obligations in exercising our Local Government functions in the provision of a service to you.
• To communicate efficiently and effectively with you;
• To deliver information about our services, where you have subscribed to receive same;
• To investigate complaints received about our services;
• To comply with Health & Safety Law and other legal obligations.
• To set your Company up as a name on our systems;
• To liaise with you about projects that we are undertaking with you;
• To ensure payment of our invoices;
• To create a candidate profile for you if you are a prospective employee;
• To administer and improve our website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, research and statistical purposes;
• As part of our effort to keep our website safe and secure.
If you wish to apply for a particular service from Monaghan County Council you may be asked for personal details specific to you and your family, in order to support your application. Monaghan County Council sets out the information it requires in a series of separate and distinct application forms relevant to each service.
The legal bases for the processing of your data are: –
• Processing necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us as the controller by virtue of our statutory functions set out under the Local Government Acts (as amended).
• Processing necessary for the performance of a contract which you have entered into with us or to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract;
• Processing necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject;
• That you have provided consent for the processing for one or more specified purposes such as marketing, for example, when you subscribe to receive news and updates about our organisation.
The legal basis for the processing of your Special Category Personal Data is that the
• Processing is necessary for the performance of a function conferred to us under the Local Government Acts (as amended).
Who do we share this information with?
A schedule of all entities with whom your personal data may be shared is available at the end of this document.
How long do we keep hold of your information?
The time periods for which we retain your information depends on the type of information and the purposes for which we use it. We will keep your information for no longer than is required or permitted.
For further information on the periods for which your personal data is kept, please see our data protection retention policy which can be accessed by clicking on the attached link: National Retention Policy (PDF) Please note that this retention policy is currently under review.
Do we transfer your information outside The European Union or European Economic Area?
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, the United States which is outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and for which there is not an adequacy decision relating to the safeguards for personal data from the European Commission.
Appropriate safeguards, including EU-US Privacy Shield certification, have been put in place to protect your information and you may obtain a copy of those safeguards by emailing email@example.com.
What are your rights with respect to your personal data?
You have the following rights:
• The right to access the personal data we hold about you.
• The right to require us to rectify any inaccurate personal data about you without undue delay.
• The right to have us erase any personal data we hold about you in circumstances such as where it is no longer necessary for us to hold the personal data or, in some circumstances, if you have withdrawn your consent to the processing.
• The right to object to us processing personal data about you such as processing for profiling or direct marketing.
• The right to ask us to provide your personal data to you in a portable format, or where technically feasible, for us to port that personal data to another provider provided it does not result in a disclosure of personal data relating to other people.
• The right to request a restriction of the processing of your personal data.
Where our processing of your personal data is based on your consent, to that processing, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time but any processing that we have carried out before you withdraw your consent remains lawful.
You may exercise any of the above rights by contacting the Data Protection Officer at: – firstname.lastname@example.org
You may lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Commissioner with respect to our processing of your personal data.
Concerns should be made in writing and emailed to email@example.com or The Data Protection Commissioner, Canal House, Station Road, Portarlington, Co. Laois. Telephone (0761 104800 or LoCall 1890 252231.
What will happen if we change our privacy notice?
This notice may change from time to time, and any changes will be posted on our website and will be effective when posted. Please review this notice each time you use our website or our services. This notice was last updated on 25th May, 2018.
How can you contact us?
Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted by
By phone: (047)30507
Address: – Monaghan County Council, County Offices, The Glen, Monaghan
Or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Schedule of all entities with whom your personal data is shared:
Department of Housing, Planning & Local Government
Department of Employment Affairs & Social Protection
Department of Transport, Tourism & Sport
Health Service Executive
An Garda Siochana
Limerick City and Limerick County Council
Laois County Council
Irish Credit Bureau
Irish Public Bodies
Department of Defence
Road Safety Authority
Health & Safety Authority
Citrix Sharefile Cloud
Sophos Central Cloud