Historic Structures Fund 2021
Notification of the Reopening of Funding for Irish Language Shopfronts
Further to the announcement of the Historic Structures Fund 2021 on the 30th April, the Minister of State for Heritage and Electoral Reform, Mr Malcolm Noonan, TD announced on the 14th May the reopening of applications to the Irish language shopfront stream of the Historic Structures Fund 2021. This stream is jointly funded by the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media.
The Irish language shopfronts stream of the Historic Structures Fund offers grants of between €15,000 and €50,000. The maximum grant award is 80% of eligible costs. The focus of the Irish language shopfronts stream of the Historic Structures Fund is to incentivise the conservation of historic Irish language shop fronts. Owners of eligible structures are invited to make applications under Stream 1 for eligible essential repairs and small capital works for the refurbishment and conservation of historic Irish language shop façades, windows, signage and other associated details to safeguard them and keep them in use. Local authorities can recommend one additional project for funding. The scheme will be administered by the Planning Section of Monaghan County Council.
The Historic Structures Fund provides capital funding for works to qualifying structures which include the following:
- Protected Structures
- Structures eligible for or proposed for inclusion in the Record of Protected Structures (RPS) but not yet formally approved for inclusion. Such structures must meet the criteria for inclusion in the RPS by the Local Authority, i.e. must be of special interest from an architectural, historical, archaeological, artistic, cultural, scientific, social or technical point of view
- Structures or works within Architectural Conservation Areas (ACAs) or within the amenity of a National Monument, where exceptional circumstances apply.
Eligible projects will be as follows:
- a) projects proposed by local authorities on foot of applications from private applicants who are the owners or custodians of historic structures
- b) projects proposed by a Local Authority for works to historic structures in public ownership, where a clear heritage focus and community or public benefit has been demonstrated
- c) projects with a clearly defined heritage focus and community or public benefit proposed directly to the Department by a State-funded organisation working in the heritage area
Note: Only one application will be considered per historic structure. Applicants cannot avail of funding under both the Historic Structures Fund and the Built Heritage Investment Scheme in the same year.
What funding is available?
€100,000 is available nationally for the conservation of historic Irish language shopfronts.
How to apply?
The Historic Structures Fund Circular HSF/2021 outlines full details of the terms, conditions and payment deadlines of the Irish language shopfront stream of the Historic Structures Fund 2021.
The Circular and relevant application form are available to download here:
Hard copies are also available at Planning Reception during opening hours from 9.15am – 5pm (lunch time closing 1:00 – 1:30 p.m.). During Covid-19 restrictions, please contact the offices to make an appointment to collect the documentation.
Completed applications (Form A) should be submitted to Angela Gallagher, Acting Administrative Officer, The Planning Department, No 1 Dublin Street, Monaghan Town, H18 X982 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 5pm on Thursday 3rd June 2021.