Pursuant to Section 177AE of the Planning and Development Act 2000 (as amended) and the requirements of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 (as amended), notice is hereby given that Monaghan County Council proposes to seek the approval of An Bord Pleanála for the completion of Closed Landfill Remediation Works at a Closed Landfill site in Killycronaghan, Newbliss, County Monaghan.
The application site, as defined by the red line boundary in the accompanying drawings, is 3.75 hectares (ha) in size. The proposed capping area within the site is 2.6 ha in size.
The proposed development will consist of the following:
- The development of a site access.
- The development of a temporary site compound and office area.
- Site clearance, including the removal of an existing gate, existing timber post and wire fencing and clearance of existing vegetation.
- Grading/profiling of the existing site area.
- Installation of an engineered landfill capping system covering an area of 2.6 hectares.
- Installation of surface and subsurface surface water drainage infrastructures.
- Installation of passive landfill gas management infrastructure.
- The installation of stock proof fencing, and a new access gate on-site.
- Landscaping of the final formation of the capping area using a proprietary grass cover mix suited for pasture.
The proposed development will ensure compliance with conditions of a Closed Landfill Certificate of Authorization pertaining to the site granted by the Environmental Protection Agency (CoA Ref: H0366-01).
A Natura Impact Statement (NIS) has been prepared in respect of the proposed development.
An Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Screening Report for the proposed development has been carried out and has determined that there is no real likelihood of significant effects on the environment arising from the proposed development and has determined that an EIAR is not required.
The Board may give approval to the application for development with or without conditions or may refuse the application for development.
Plans and particulars of the proposed development, including Natura Impact Statement, will be available for inspection free of charge, or for purchase at a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy, at the following offices of Monaghan County Council:
- Environmental Services Department, Monaghan County Council, Civic Offices, Riverside Road, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan A81RY22
- Ballybay Clones Municipal District Office, Monaghan County Council, The Diamond, Clones, Co. Monaghan, H23X378
between the hours of 9.15am to 1.00pm and 1.30pm to 5.00pm each day during which said Offices are open for the transaction of business, for a period from Wednesday the 20th of September 2023 to Wednesday the 8th of November 2023 (inclusive of both dates) and at the following offices of An Bord Pleanála:
- An Bord Pleanála, 64 Marlborough St, Rotunda, Dublin 1, D01 V902
between the hours of 9:15am to 5:30pm each day during which said Offices are open from the transaction of business, for a period from Wednesday the 20th of September 2023 to Wednesday the 8th of November 2023 (inclusive of both dates).
Plans and particulars of the proposed development, including the Natura Impact Statement, are also available for viewing on Monaghan County Council’s online consultation portal at https://monaghan.ie/environment/killycronaghan-historical-landfill-sec-177-planning-application/ from Wednesday the 20th of September 2023 to Wednesday the 8th of November 2023 (inclusive of both dates).
Submissions or observations regarding the proposed development may be made in writing to An Bord Pleanála (with an address of (64 Marlborough St, Rotunda, Dublin 1, D01 V902) during the period from Wednesday the 20th of September 2023 to Wednesday the 8th of November 2023 (inclusive of both dates) in relation to:
- the likely effects on the environment of the proposed development;
- the implications of the proposed development for proper planning and sustainable development in the area in which it is proposed to situate the proposed development; and
- the likely significant effects of the proposed development on a European Site, if carried out.
Submissions or observations are to be received no later than 5.30pm on Wednesday the 8th of November 2023.
A person may question the validity of any such decision by An Bord Pleanála by way of an application for judicial review under Order 84 of the Rules of the Superior Courts as provided for in Section 50 of the Planning and Development Acts 2000-2022. Further information can be obtained from An Bord Pleanála, 64 Marlborough Street, Dublin 1, D01 V902 in respect of the judicial review procedure.
Further information in respect of the Judicial Review process can also be found on www.citizensinformation.ie Contact Lo Call 1890 777 121 or + 353 21 452 1600 for details of the locations and operating hours of your local Citizens Information Centre.
A/Director of Services,
Directorate of Climate Action, Environmental and Water Services
7th September 2023