Monaghan County Council Draft Climate Change Adaptation Strategy
Notice is hereby given that Monaghan County Council has prepared a draft Local Authority Climate Change Adaptation Strategy in accordance with the provisions of The Climate Action and Low Carbon Development Act 2015 and the National Adaptation Framework (NAF), 2018.
Climate change is recognised as a global challenge with policy responses required in terms of both mitigating the causes of climate change and in adapting to the inevitable consequences of our changing climate. The Climate Change Adaptation Strategy represents a proactive step by Monaghan County Council in the process of adaptation planning to build resilience and respond effectively to the threats posed by climate change.
Purpose of the Strategy:
The Climate Change Adaptation Strategy takes on the role as the primary instrument at local level to:
- ensure a proper comprehension of the key risks and vulnerabilities of climate change
- bring forward the implementation of climate resilient actions in a planned and proactive manner and,
- ensure that climate adaptation considerations are mainstreamed into all plans and policies and integrated into all operations and functions of Monaghan County Council.
Accompanying the draft Climate Change Adaptation Strategy is:
- A Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) Screening Report in accordance with the SEA Directive (DIR 2001/42/EC) and pursuant to European Communities (Environmental Assessment of Certain Plans and Programmes) Regulations 2004 (SI 435 of 2004 as amended by SI 200 of 2011) and,
- An Appropriate Assessment (AA) Screening Report in accordance with the requirements of Article 6(3) of the EU Habitats Directive (Directive 92/43/EEC).
A copy of the draft strategy, SEA and AA screening reports may be viewed on the County Council website: https://www.monaghan.ie/ or inspected during the period from Monday 27th May 2019 to Wednesday 26th June 2019 at the following locations during normal business hours:
- Monaghan Municipal District Office, The Glen, Monaghan.
- Castleblayney/Carrickmacross Municipal District Office, Riverside Road, Carrickmacross
- Ballybay/Clones Municipal District Office, The Diamond, Clones
- Monaghan Library North Road, Monaghan
- Carrickmacross Library, Riverside Road, Carrickmacross
- Castleblayney Library, Iontas Centre, Castleblayney
- Clones Library, 98 Avenue, Clones
- Ballybay Library, Main Street, Ballybay
The adaptation strategy, SEA screening report and AA screening report may also be viewed on the Government Public Consultations Portal at https://gov.ie/consultations
Making a Submission:
Submissions or observations may be made:
- by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or
- in writing to Kieran Duffy, A/Senior Executive Engineer, Environmental Services, Monaghan County Council, Civic Offices, Riverside Road, Carrickmacross, A81 RY22.
Submissions or observations should state your name, address and where relevant the organisation/body etc. represented. Please make your submission by one medium only i.e. post/hard copy or by email
Any written submissions or observations received within the timeframe will be taken into consideration before the making of the strategy. You are invited to make written submissions/ observations in respect of the draft strategy and the accompanying SEA and AA screening reports.
Closing date for receipt of submission is midnight on Wednesday 26th June 2019
Please note that all submissions may be available for public viewing during the period of making the strategy. Monaghan County Council will treat all personal data as confidential and will retain data for no longer than is necessary for the purpose of this Climate Change Adaptation Strategy and in accordance with the Council’s Retention Policy and relevant Data Protection legislation.
Signed: Adge King
Director of Services
Climate Action, Environmental and Water Services.
MONAGHAN LOCAL COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE (LCDC)
Community Enhancement Programme 2019
Monaghan Local Community Development Committee (LCDC) announces deadline for the Community Enhancement Programme for 2019 is approaching. Closing date for receipt of applications is 30th May 2019, at 5pm.
Organisations eligible for funding include:
- Locally based community and voluntary groups in disadvantaged areas,
- Not-for-profit organisations, and
- Government Departments and State Agencies.
Those not eligible for funding include:
- Commercial organisations, individuals and for-profit organisations.
Projects or elements of project of a capital nature may be funded.
Note: Requests for assistance usually exceed the funds available. Applicants should be aware that the Programme is likely to be oversubscribed. Therefore all applications fulfilling the conditions may not be successful or may be for a lesser amount.
Applications will be evaluated by the LCDC to ensure eligibility and consistence with the Local Economic and Community Plan 2016-2021 (LECP) which can be viewed at the following link https://monaghan.ie/communitydevelopment/local-economic-and-community-plan-lecp/
Deadline for receipt of applications is Thursday 30th May 2019 at 5pm
Full details and guidelines on criteria and application forms are available by contacting:
Monaghan County Council, Community Development Section on 047 73720
Or by downloading the forms from https://monaghan.ie/communitydevelopment/category/grantsfunding-schemes/
LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED