MONAGHAN COUNTY COUNCIL
Comhairle Contae Mhuineacháin
Part XI of the Planning and Development Act 2000 (as amended)
Part 8, Article 81 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 (as amended)
N54/R867 Roundabout Pedestrian Safety Scheme, Monaghan Town, Co. Monaghan
Monaghan County Council hereby gives notice of its intention to carry out construction of a Pedestrian Safety Scheme at N54/R867 Roundabout (also known as the Margaret Skinnider Roundabout), at Mullaghmonaghan, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan.
The proposed works shall comprise, generally, the following:
- Improved Pedestrian facilities on all arms of the Margaret Skinnider Roundabout, including a Zebra Crossing on Market Road (N54) and Park Street (R867) and a signalised pedestrian crossing on the Clones Road (N54).
- Removal of existing uncontrolled crossings on all arms including the uncontrolled crossing on Clones Road adjacent the entrance to the St. Marys Boys School.
- Improved roundabout geometry which will include relocation of the central island, reduction of the roundabout circulating carriageway to 4.5m and a 1.5m wide hatched area and provision of a 6m wide overrun apron.
- Amendments to the existing kerb line at the entries and exits to the roundabout to provide reduced entry radii, promoting slower speeds, and amendments to the existing splitter islands on all arms of the roundabout.
- Pavement overlay/inlay on the immediate approaches to the roundabout and within the roundabout circulating carriageway.
- Raising of existing chambers and gullies and provision of new gullies where necessary at realigned kerb lines to tie-into the existing drainage provision.
- Undergrounding of some overhead electricity supply cables and subsequent removal of a utility pole within the footpath in the north-eastern quadrant of the roundabout.
- Provision of all regulatory and warning signs and road markings associated with an urban roundabout.
- Upgrading existing pedestrian facilities at the entrance to St. Mary’s Boys School through the provision of tactile paving at existing uncontrolled crossing and all associated site works.
In accordance with Article 81(ca) and 120(1B)(b)(i) of the above-mentioned regulations, Monaghan County Council, as the competent authority, has concluded from a Screening Determination, based on an examination of the nature, size and location of the proposed development that there is no real likelihood of significant effects on the environment arising from the proposed development and as such has determined that an EIA is not required. The details of this Screening Determination are available to the general public. At any time before the expiration of 4 weeks from the date of publication of this notice, any person may apply to An Bord Pleanála for a screening determination as to whether the proposed development would be likely to have significant effects on the environment.
Plans and particulars of the proposed development may be inspected or purchased, at a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy, from Thursday 18th February 2021 until Thursday 18th March 2021 (inclusive) at the offices of Monaghan County Council, The Planning Authority, No1 Dublin Street, Monaghan, H18 X982. Due to Covid-19 restrictions, please contact the above mentioned offices at 047 30532 to make an appointment to view the documents of this application. All submitted documentation can be viewed online at http://www.eplanning.ie/MonaghanCC/AppFileRefDetails/218001/0
Submissions or observations with respect to the proposed development, dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area in which the development would be situated, clearly marked “N54/R867 Roundabout Pedestrian Safety Scheme, Monaghan Town, Co. Monaghan” may be made in writing to Monaghan County Council, The Planning Authority, No1 Dublin Street, Monaghan, H18 X982 before 5.00 pm on 1st April 2021.
Director of Services,
Transportation, Community and Rural Development
Monaghan County Council