Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) (including the use of other surveillance technologies) and Data Protection
CCTV systems operated by Monaghan County Council are regulated in accordance with the Data Protection Acts 1988-2018 (as amended) and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (the ‘Acts’).
For the purpose of the Acts (including Part 5 of the Data Protection Act 2018, where relevant) the Data Controller is Monaghan County Council.
CCTV and surveillance systems have a legitimate role to play in helping to maintain a safe and secure environment for our staff and visitors. Monaghan County Council also has statutory law enforcement rights and obligations. These roles must be balanced, proportionate and undertaken in compliance with data protection law.
Monaghan County Council has the following types of surveillance systems in place:
- Handheld recording units; and
- A live webcam
These systems are in place at each of Monaghan County Council premises and in numerous other locations throughout Monaghan for the following purposes:
- protecting the safety and security of its staff, buildings, assets and information located or stored on the premises;
- securing public order and safety in public places including through community-based CCTV schemes
- to fulfil Monaghan County Council’s own law enforcement purposes e.g. illegal dumping/litter pollution
- viewing live stream public events and traffic online.
The following Data Protection Principles apply to the use of CCTV. Personal data must be:
- Processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way (‘transparency’);
- Collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes (except for archiving in the public interest) (‘purpose limitation’);
- Adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary for the purposes its being processed (‘data minimisation’);
- Accurate and kept up to date (‘accuracy’);
- Kept safe and secure using appropriate technical and organisational measures (‘integrity and confidentiality’);
- Retained for no longer than is necessary for the specified purpose (‘storage limitation’).
Monaghan County Council must be able to demonstrate compliance with each of these principles (‘accountability’).
For full details of the collection and processing of your personal data by us using CCTV and other surveillance technologies and your rights in this regard, please see our full CCTV Policy And Guidelines (MS Word Doc)