Housing Assistance Payment

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a new social housing support. HAP will replace Rent Supplement for those with a long term housing need. Persons applying for HAP (Housing Assistance Payment) must be a qualified housing applicant(s) before they can apply for HAP.

If you are eligible as an approved housing applicant, you must find your own private rented accommodation (within specific rent caps – see below). The Local Authority will pay the landlord directly and the tenant will pay a rent to the local authority based on the differential rent scheme. The rent will be based on your weekly household income and works in a similar way to the differential rents charged for local authority houses.

See the attached Tenant and Landlord sheets for more detailed information.‌

Housing Assistance Payment Tenant Leaflet (PDF)

Housing Assistance Payment Landlord Leaflet (PDF)

Monthly Rent Capping Limits for County Monaghan

Single Person in Shared Accommodation – €200.00

Couple in Shared Accommodation – €220.00

Single Person – €330.00

Couple with no children – €390.00

Couple or One Parent Family with 1 child – €500.00

Couple or One Parent Family with 2 children – €515.00

Couple or One Parent Family with 3+ children – €530.00


Data Protection
Housing Assistance Payment Scheme Privacy Notice