Private Rented Accommodation

Whilst traditionally the local authority has provided accommodation for persons who were unable to provide accommodation from their own resources, various other programmes have been introduced where private rented accommodation forms the solution to a household’s accommodation needs.

Where households are renting homes from private individuals there is legislation to protect the tenants and the landlords, and agencies to enforce legislation accordingly

1. Agencies

Residential Tenancies Board (RTB)
Control of the private rented sector is primarily the responsibility of the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) which was established under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 (RTA) in September 2004.

Housing Authorities
Housing Authorities are responsible for the enforcement of the Housing Standards for Rented Houses Regulations and the Rent Book Regulations.

2. Registration of Tenancies

Part 7 of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 which deals with the registration of tenancies has been in operation since 1st September 2004. Tenancies in private rented residential accommodation must be registered by the landlord with the RTB and a registration fee paid. Landlords no longer register with the Local Authority. Each registration must be renewed after 4 years or once a new tenancy commences. Each application shall be contained in the Register of Tenancies which is maintained by the RTB. Tenancy registration forms and other publications are available on the RTB’s website

Certain dwellings are exempt from registration with the RTB. Further information may be obtained direct from the Residential Tenancies Board.

3. Other RTB Services

The RTB operates a national tenancy registration system in addition to offering a dispute and mediation service between landlords and tenants. As part of its remit, the RTB also provides policy advice to the Government on the private rented sector.

Further Information/Advice is available from

Postal Address: Residential Tenancies Board, PO Box 47, Clonakilty, Co. Cork.

Telephone Number: 0818 30 30 37 (9:00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday)

Fax Number: 0818 30 30 39

Email Queries:

Website Details:

4. Housing Standards

Minimum standards for rental accommodation are prescribed by means of Regulations made under Section 18 of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, 1992, as updated by the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, 2009.

The relevant standards are currently set out under:

  •  S.I. No. 137/2019 – Housing (Standards For Rented Houses) Regulations 2019


The Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations first took effect in their entirety for all newly rented properties being let for the first time from the 1st February 2009 these regulations have since been updated and the current iteration is Housing (Standards For Rented Houses) Regulations 2019.

The Regulations do not apply to houses let for the purpose of a holiday, Housing Authority demountable houses and communal type accommodation provided by the Health Services Executive and certain approved non-profit or voluntary bodies. With the exception of Article 8 Food Preparation, Storage and Laundry – the Regulations also apply to houses let by Housing Authorities.

Main Provisions of the 2019 Regulations

These regulations specify requirements in relation to:

  • Structural Condition
  • Sanitary Facilities
  • Heating Facilities
  • Food Preparation and Storage and Laundry
  • Ventilation
  • Lighting
  • Fire Safety
  • Refuse Facilities
  • Electricity and Gas
  • Information

Further information on the relevant legislation may be obtained on or

5. Inspections of Private Rented Accommodation

Local Authority inspectors are “authorised persons” who are empowered to inspect a private rented house under the aforementioned legislation. Monaghan Local Authority have an active inspections programme ongoing in this area.

6. Enforcement of Housing Standards

All landlords have a legal obligation to ensure that their rented properties comply with the aforementioned Regulations and responsibility for the enforcement of the Regulations rests with the relevant Local Authority. Landlords failing to comply with their legal obligations in private rented accommodation are liable to be prosecuted, and on conviction, may be subject to a fine not exceeding €5,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or both, along with a daily fine of €400 for a continuing offence.

7. Dealing with Complaints

Tenants occupying accommodation not meeting the relevant standards should, in the first instance, contact the landlord in order to give the landlord an opportunity to put the matter right. If a tenant has notified the landlord regarding the need for repairs, but the problem has not been rectified by the landlord, then the tenant can chose to refer the matter to the Housing Department for investigation. When contacting the Housing Department, the tenant should provide their full name, address and telephone number/mobile number along with full details of their concerns/query. The name, address and contact details for the landlord should also be provided.

Complaints cannot be dealt with when:

  • They are anonymous
  • The matter does not relate to housing standards
  • There is insufficient information given to investigate

If it is the opinion of the Housing Section that the complaint requires further investigation, then an appointment will be made to inspect the relevant property and further action initiated if warranted.

8. Rent Book Regulations

Landlords are obliged to provide tenants with a “rent book” (or other documentation serving the same purpose) at the commencement of a tenancy. This applies to dwellings rented by private landlords, voluntary bodies, local authorities and employers. The requirement to provide a rent book is set down under:

Housing (Rent Books) Regulations 1993

Housing (Rent Books) Regulations (Amendment) Regulations 2004)

Housing (Rent Books) Regulations (Amendment) Regulations 2010)

(Made under Section 17) of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992.

Further information on the relevant legislation may be obtained on or


Please find updated Guidelines for Housing Authorities Minimum Standards in Rented Accommodation attached:

Guidelines For Housing Authorities Minimum Standards In Rented Accommodation (Nov 2021)